The filtered lookup field doesn't show the dropdown

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Hi,

This is exactly the tool that I am looking for! 

However once I created the filtered lookup field using the filtered view, then go create a new item, the dropdown of the filtered lookup field doesn't show in NewForm.aspx.  It's just the field name and BLANK.

What should I do to get this working?

Thank you!
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 8:49 AM
Hi,
This probably occurred because the source column does not contain a value for all retrieved ListItems. Please confirm that is indeed the case.

If this is indeed true, a similar point has been previously raised and it has been reported as an issue.

Regards.
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM
Hi,

The source column does contain a value, although it's a Calculated Column.  Don't know if that causes the problem?

I have uploaded the screen shot and the scenario under the issue.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Hi,
Let me first and foremost say thank you for the screenshots, they spoke thousands of words; thousands of clear, concise and unambiguous words.

The Filtered Lookup field, just like the standard SharePoint Lookup, is designed to display SPListItems (and not SPFolders) contained in a SharePoint list or library. This explains why no item is being returned.

Also looking at the screenshots, particularly screenshot #2, it appears you are using a previous version of the Filtered Lookup field. This explains why the UI control is not being displayed, this bug was fixed for the latest release.

To obtain the latest release, please visit the download page and download the most recent release (currently version 1.0.0.1)

Regards,

Raphael.
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Hi,

I'm glad that the screenshots helped.

I went ahead remove and reinstall the current version (which I think that is the version installed on 4/14/2009), still got the same error.  This time I uploaded files and lookup the ID field, which cannot be empty, still doesn't show the UI control.  I've posted the screenshot again just to make sure this is the current version.

http://filteredlookup.codeplex.com/Project/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=filteredlookup&WorkItemId=2706&FileAttachmentId=1028

thanks,

rachel
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Hi,
From your screenshots put together, I gather that the column "CMS Path" is indeed an attribute of the content type "Folder". If this is correct, this will not work. Like I'd mentioned before, your content type "Folder" inherits from the base content type "folder". The Filtered Lookup field, like the standard SharePoint Lookup field, only looks up SPListItem and not SPFolder.

Thus, the value of "In this column" dropdown (visible when creating or editing a filtered lookup field) should be pointing to an attribute that's associated with a content type that actually creates SPListItems, e.g documents, tasks, discussions, events, etc. Just to start with, could you set the value of the "In this column" dropdown to say "Title" or "ID" and see what happens. Chaging the list view will not make much difference here if the selected source column is not associated with SPListItem.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Raphael.