Filtered Lookup not working: Dropdown not Visible

May 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM

For some reason, I cannot get the dropdown to show on the filtered lookup. I am able to set up the filtered lookup without problems, but when I go into edit mode for a record, I get blanks where the dropdown should be.  I am trying to do a cross-site lookup of a List in a top-level site. I am appliying a List View Filter. The data I am trying to get at is not a calculated field.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Dennis

Coordinator
May 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Dennis,

There's really nothing in particular to look out for; the dropdownlist should be visible irrespective of the FieldValueType you are working with, including calculated values.

That said, there's an outstanding issue with the UI control not appearing in either the new or edit form in some circumstances. This issue occurs when the source column used in the filter is partly populated. However, this issue has now been fixed and will be available in the next release of the project.

If the above scenario closely fits your case, please look out for the next release due on May 31. If your scenario is rather different, then please let me know how the source list, target list and lookup field are all configured, perhaps with some screenshots.

Regards,

Raphael.

May 19, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Hi, I also have this problem.
When I use the standard lookup field (from a list in the same site of course), the lookup works. But the filtered lookup on the same list does not show any selection possibility.

And this list is fully populated.

I've tried in source and target different lists, but I can't get it to work.

Source list is a simple list with 3 fields: title, made by and changed by (translated as our Sharepoint is in Dutch).

Target list is also a simple list with 4 fields: title, made by, changed by and hen then lookpup field connected with a list view.

If nothing comes up, I'll do the update when there is a new release. Maybe it's resolved then somehow.

Greetings,

Roger

May 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it. 

Perhaps I am a little confused on set up. I have a list in a top-level site that stores Job Codes. This is the target list. I have created a view called "Open Job Codes" that uses a filter to display only the job codes where Job Code Status = "Open". I have verified that the view works fine.   I have Target List called Analytics Requests in a child site.  I have created a field also called "Job Codes" in the Target List. This "Job Codes" field is setup as a Filtered Lookup and is using the previously mentioned "Open Job Codes" view as the List View Filter.

The data type for the Job Code column in the Source List is "Single Line of Text". The field size is set to 50.  It is a required field. The Default value is blank and the radio button for this field is set to "Text".

The data type for the Job Code field in the Target List is, of course, a Filtered Lookup.  The "Get Information from this site:" field is set to the name of the Top-level site.  The "Get Information from:" field is set to the name of the Source List in the Top-level site.  The "In this column" field is set to "Job Code". "Apply List View filter" is the radio button that is selected. "Open Job Codes" is the view selected. Multiple Value is not checked.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to post screenshots to this forum.  I'll figure that out and post the screenshots.

Thanks,

Dennis

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hi Roger,

Most lookups always retrieve data from another list or library and I'm not quite sure why you'd want the same list list to act as both the source and destination list; isn't the data you want to lookup already available in the list at the first place? Perhaps there's something I'm missing here. Perhaps, the issue is related to the different language, I'm not quite certain here; this may require further looking into.

That said, I noticed you'd captured this same issue previously and I'll suggest we wait for the next release and see if the issue is resolved in the release.

Best regards,

Raphael.

May 20, 2009 at 9:03 AM

@xclusivedev:

As I couldn't get it to work, I set up a small test with some simple lists.

I'll try the next release.

Greetings,

Roger

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hi Dennis,

The issue you are experiencing may be related to the issue captured already. The issue will occur if the "Job Code" column in the source list does not contain value for every item contained in the source list. And from your post, the default value for the "Job Code" column in the source list is blank. So if a new item is added to the source list with no value specified for the source column, using the source column as the target column for a filtered lookup causes a known issue; and this known issue will be resolved in the next release.

Let me know if this issue applies to your case.

Best regards,

Raphael.

May 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to say, that I have the same problem at the customer site.

In my dev machine it works fine, but at the customer site I can't get it working. No special lists. All full populated. Maybe there are problems with 64bit or with win 2008 server?

If you need any further information please contact me.

Greetings,

Michael

May 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hi Raphael,

I've verified that there no null values in the source column, as well as the column in the source list that I am using for the filter. 

Our instance of Sharepoint is version 3.0 and resides on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition - Serivce Pack 2.

Thanks,

Dennis

Coordinator
May 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Thanks Dennis, I'll investigate this further and see if I can repro the issue and hopefully have it resolve in the next release.

Coordinator
May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Edited May 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Hi Michael,

The Filtered Lookup field was developed to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit environment; all these problems may be related to the same issue. So let me also look into this and see if it can be repro'ed and possibly resolved.

Regards,

Raphael.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Hi Raphael,

After installing version 1.0.0.3 we still have this problem.

Can I send you some screenshots to help?

Greetings,

Roger

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Hi Roger,

Please go ahead and send me screenshots; you can create a new issue in "issue tracker" and attach all the screenshots you may have.

And please provide detailed descriptions of all steps and actions taken to reproduce the issue, including (but certainly not limited to) information about the SPLists you are using, the fields you are using, the data types of the fields, your permissions on the SPSites/SPLists, etc.

Regards,

Raphael.

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM

This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.